3.29.2010

Eat More Fish!




Today is Day #7 of 30 of my endeavor to eat healthier and exercise more. My major priority
is to eat pure, natural foods like protein packed lean fish or chicken, whole grains, colorful fruits and vegetables, and low fat dairy like plain Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.



So far, I have been diligently counting my calories, and have done quite well except for a few weak moments following the consumption of red wine. I find that when you are aware of the exact number of calories you are consuming those weak moments are less harmful. When the cravings and weaknes
s comes, the best thing to do is to allow yourself to have that bite of pizza or a piece of cheese, but just a bite. Then pull out the carrot sticks, fat free popcorn or chickpeas and snack on those instead. Being prepared and planning out each meal are important factors in being successful with this challenge. Trying to incorporate more fish in my diet, I plan to eat at least one dinner with fish per week if not more. For my first week on the challenge, I let the fish counter at Whole Foods dictate what fish I chose. Whatever looked the best to me is what I chose and that was cod. I prepared a lovely, wholesome dinner of sauteed cod with lemon, wild rice topped with avocado slices, and steamed broccoli.


Cod is a mild, white, flaky fish with a very low fat content filled with nutrients like vitamins A, D, and E as well as a good source for omega-3 fatty acids. In addition to this lean protein, I added the nutrient-dense grain of wild rice. Wild rice, an excellent choice for a gluten-free diet, is high in protein and fiber and low in fat. Filled with vitamins and minerals, this whole grain has a satisfying texture and flavor that will enhance any healthy diet. Try this simple dinner with lovely, lean cod, a whole grain like wild rice and a vegetable.



















Lizzy M.'s Lemon-Sauteed Cod



1 cod filet (4-6 oz. per p
erson)
Sea salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

Dash of lemon zest
Juice of half of a lemon per cod fil
et
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil



Directions:


1. Season the fresh, raw cod with salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon zest. Drizzle
half of the 1 tbsp of olive oil over the fish.


2. In a saute pan over
medium to high heat, add the remaining olive oil. Once heated, add the cod filet and cook on each side for about 4 minutes. Depending upon the size of the fish, you may need to adjust the cooking time to less or more. You will know the fish is done when it splits and gets turns a sold white color.


Serve with an extra squeeze of lemon along with a whole grain like wild rice and a vegetable for a complete, healthy and satisfying meal.

2 comments:

  1. How's Matt surviving in this health initiative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that night he ate pizza leftovers from his birthday. Other than the fish, he doesn't mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails