9.13.2009

First Game Day Meal of the Football Season

Today marks the start of regular season football, which means hosting Sunday game day gatherings at our humble city dwelling. It also means that I have the chance to please my friends and family with my skills in the kitchen. Our game day spread is usually themed based upon who our home team, the Philadelphia Eagles, plays. Today the Eagles slammed the Carolina Panthers but we didn't slam everything about the Carolina's because we indulged in Carolina style pulled BBQ pork with coleslaw on soft white bread.

We used leftover pulled pork from a pig roast we attended weeks ago. The leftover pork was immediately put in the freezer, and we wondered what in the world we could do with that 5 lbs of pork. The pork was already well seasoned from the pig roast, so my job was simply to make a dynamite BBQ sauce. My husband supplied the fresh white bread and coleslaw from the store.

I supplemented one bottle of traditional hickory smoked BBQ sauce with my own combination. I also added about a cup of water to thin out the sauce slightly. The sauce cooked slowly in the crock pot for an hour before adding the pulled pork. We kept the crock pot on low as the pork heated through. Pile the BBQ pork on a soft slice of white bread topped with a helping of coleslaw for a delicious game day dish!

Tune in next Sunday as my current city, Philadelphia, plays my hometown, New Orleans, in the second game of the regular season. The theme will be New Orleans!

Lizzy M.'s BBQ Sauce

1 cup Ketchup
3 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
3 Tbsp Molasses
1 Beef Bullion Cube
1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails